Low Fat Vegetable Samosas (vegan)
2 medium portion potato(es), peeled and cut into dice
1 spray low-fat cooking spray
1 small carrot(s), finely chopped
1 small onion(s), finely chopped
50 g cooked frozen peas, thawed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
1 teaspoon garlic, puree
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped fresh (or mint)
1 pinch salt, to taste
1 serving pepper, freshly ground, black
5 sheet filo pastry, thawed if frozen
1. Cook potatoes and carrot in boiling, salted water until tender - about 10 minutes. Drain and partially mash them.
2. Mist non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Sauté onion until softened, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir onion, peas, cumin, ground coriander, chilli powder, turmeric, garlic puree and fresh coriander or mint into potatoes and carrots. Season to taste. Cool completely.
4. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F. Mist baking sheets with spray cooking oil.
5. Cut filo pastry sheets into strips, measuring approximately 30 cm x 10 cm (12 inches x 4 inches).
6. Place a tablespoon of mixture at one end of a pastry strip. Fold over and over to make a triangle. Repeat to make 20 samosas.
7. Mist with cooking spray, place onto baking sheets and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden.