Vegetable Sausages with Lentils (vegetarian)
3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 onion, finely chopped
Sprinkling of salt
500g puy lentils
1 clove garlic, minced
8 vegetarian sausages
100ml vegan red wine
Flat leaf parsley for sprinkling
1. To cook the lentils, put 2-3 tbsps of oil into a good sized saucepan on the heat and when it’s warm add the chopped onion. Sprinkle with salt and cook over a low to medium heat until soft. Add the lentils, stir well and then cover generously with cold water. Bring to the boil, then cover and let simmer gently for half an hour or so until cooked and most of the liquid has absorbed.
2. Place a heavy based frying pan on the hob and cover with a film of oil and add the bruised garlic. Cook for a few minutes then add and brown the sausages.
3. When the sausages are brown on both sides, add the wine and the water and let it bubble and boil. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Check the sausage/wine sauce if it is too strong add some water and any seasoning you think it may need.
5. Remove the lentils to a shallow bowl or dish, then cover with the sausages and then the wine gravy. Sprinkle with some flat leaf parsley.
adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe.